Thursday, August 2, 2007

What's so great about Sports?

So after being around for a little while the question might come up... What are you all about at BvB?

"I'm not a role model. " Charles Barkley
"Only poor people go to jail." Charles Barkley
"Arrogant, pompous, obnoxious, vain, cruel, verbose, a showoff. I have been called all of these. Of course, I am." Howard Cosell

I think that could sum it up huh? but after you get those major points out of the way... What're you left with. Sports. Now we may not like ALL sports, but we do love sports. We love competition.

"Because people sometimes miss it, and sometimes they don't have it, they want it. And when they have it, they don't want it." Roger Federer On rivalries

We all want some competition out there. So don't fault me for this, but I am going to be attending one of the days at the PGA Championships this next week. Not because I love golf, but because I love sports. I love watching peole compete.

"Hockey is a sport for white men . Basketball is a sport for black men. Golf is a sport for white men dressed like black pimps. " Tiger Woods

Sports is an interesting world where a large percentage of people play sports, but a small percentage are very very good. We (those that are not very good) choose to watch sports because we can see something that we cannot do. A world is on display that keeps us informed of our inadequacies while we are entertained and enthralled. We watch the moves that our heroes use. We still take them out onto the basketball court and try to do the things that Dwayne Wade and Lebron James do. We try to go out there and bring in a touch down catch one handed or juke an opponent out of their shoes. And in our failures at performing those things that we witness from the players, we find ourselves and we find why we love sports so much.

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
Micheal Jordan

2 comments:

JTExperience said...

Well done, sir.

That Tiger Woods quote killed me.

evan said...

Jordan never mentions the part about being sociopathically competitive.