Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Advice to Current and Future ADs

Ok, so Jeff, Frank, I've brought you guys to my BigFooted and Foolish part of the world to implore you to do something. While asking for this makes me feel dirty and disgusting, I just have to do it.

As you know, in the past I have called for Houston Nutt's Firing. Or at least agreed with those that have. At this point, I don't think he should be coaching the Razorbacks, but you probably can't fire him. Judging by the turmoil surrounding college football, you may have trouble luring another coach out of a good job to come to Arkansas. I'm sure you've got some coaches on the radar, and I'm sure they might be telling you they are interested or at least will be after the season is over, but even if Houston tanks, loses three games, and goes 6-6 your best bet is probably keeping him longer.

Of the schools that will have vacant coaching positions next year, these are the ones I would rank above the Arkansas job.

UCLA
Notre Dame
Texas A&M
Nebraska
Michigan

The word on the street is Tubberville is going to A&M and if that happens then Auburn is up for grabs and that job is at least on Par with the Arkansas job and it will just make it that much harder to suceed.

So go ahead and talk to some guys. Make sure you are in case Houston decides to jump ship to another school, but be prepared for the fact that firing Houston could be a bad idea. I'm not saying he's a good coach, but he's better than no coach. You don't have anyone on your staff that would make a good head coach at this point in their career, but maybe you could start grooming someone.

Be prepared, because the head coaching market is gonna be flooded soon. If you do start talking to people, I would get these guys in this order.

Mark Mangino - Kansas
Chris Peterson - Boise St.
Rich Rodriguez - West Virginia
Jerry Moore - Appalachian State - If you feel like gambling

No comments: