Thursday, November 15, 2007

Whatda F--k's up?

Tennis doesn't really make sense to me. I mean I love the sport, and I love watching the games and the matches, but the tournaments usually don't make a lot of sense to me. Same thing with Soccer, but I only have to talk about that once every four years, so I'll hold off until USA's next World Cup Flop.



This is the standings prior to day 6 at the Tennis Master's Cup in Shanghai. Federer was ranked number one to start the tournament and he starts off his round robin with the 4, 5, and 7 seeds. Meanwhile over in the Gold group, they have 2, 3, 6, and 8. I guess that's a fair balance, and I'm not exactly sure how I would choose to break up the round robin. I think the traditional style would be randomly assign first round matches, winners play each other and losers play each other, Go for three rounds until you have a 3-0 and 3 2-1 that way it's clear cut.

So anyway the way it looks right now... The gold group is decided, from there you have David Ferrer at 3-0 and Rafeal Nadal at 2-1. The red group, Andy Roddick (the other ARod) is through to the semifinals, but it's between Roger Federer and Fernando Gonzalez who gets the top spot. Gonzo already beat the swiss man, but unless Fed loses to Arod, Ferndando is going home, even if he beats the cheater Nikolay Davydenko.

Whatda F--k's up wit dat? If they are both 2-1, or 1-2, which should you look at first, head-to-head or Sets won and lost? I say head-to-head, but the Tennis master's cup round robin looks at sets won and lost... so when Fed was able to take 1 set from the Chilean, it was better than the win for Gonzo.

It looks like it will probably be a non-issue, as Fed hasn't lost to Roddick since August of '03 and Nikolay Daveydenko owns Gonzalez with a 3-0 record. It looks like it's gonna be 2-1 Fed and Roddick in the semis.

My other issue with tennis seeding is in all of the major tournaments. It's like you have 32 seeds right and 1 plays 17 and then 9 and then 5 and then 3. How can that sit right in any sports aficianado's mind? 1 plays 32 then 16, then 8, then 4. Sure they Number one seed still has the easiest road, but it just doesn't sit right with me.

This is a notice to Tennis. Cooperate! Do as you're told. Get your weirdo system in line with the sports in this nation, or I'll have to bust your balls internationally in all the countries that you are played in. I mean seriously... Whatda F--k's up?

No comments: