Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Not excited so how about a World Record

We here at BvB can't get excited about the Mocs and taking on UT Chattanooga. If we pull a Michigan I will rip my testicles off and post them on the blog.


So, I thought I'd draw attention to Haile Gebrselassie (pronounced Grabs a little ass e).


Haile Grabselassie just put himself on a plane of sports that exceeds millions of competitors for over a century. In the Berlin Marathon this past week, Haile went 26.2 miles faster than anyone has ever done it in competition. His 2:04;26 was 29 seconds faster than Paul Tergat's mark in 2003 at the same marathon course.

I think this record is complete bullshit. One of the rules races of the distance kinda typically follow is no pacers. No one to run with you and keep you on a pace. Part of the beauty of running long is the fact that you have to find it within yourself to hold back when you need to and push when you need to. While he If you want to know your pace it is completely legal to run with a device to tell you that, but another person along isn't the same thing, and to me I don't think it's right for a world class athlete of Haile's caliber to sink to that level. It would be like a high school cross country coach getting to run with his athletes.

I don't know if this is common practice for marathon and half-marathon records, but running to me is an individual sport. Haile can run fast and long, but I still hate the pacing. BigFootFool is going to be running his first marathon Oct. 20th. I damn sure won't be near 2:06, but I'm gonna do it alone.

No comments: